Registering a business as a minor

If you are under 18 and want to start a business, you need permission from your parents or guardian to perform legal acts, such as ordering supplies, opening a shop on, or taking out a contract with a payment service.

Registering with KVK

The first step is to fill in an online registration form. Next, make an appointment at a branch of the Netherlands Chamber of Commerce KVK to finalise the registration. Have one of your parents or your guardian accompany you to the appointment or bring the necessary documents. Please consider the options below.

1. Bring your parent or guardian

This is the easiest option. One of your parents or your guardian accompanies you to your appointment at KVK and signs the registration form with you. This gives you permission to start your business.

You and your parent/guardian must bring a form of ID to the appointment.

2. Letter of consent

If your parents/guardian cannot accompany you to the appointment at KVK, you can have them fill in a letter of consent in English. A Dutch form is also available. Have one of your parents or your guardian sign the document. This gives you permission to start your business.

What to bring to your appointment:

  • The completed letter of consent.
  • Your ID.
  • A copy of the ID of the parent/guardian who signed the letter of consent.

3. Trustee

This is a more comprehensive option. In addition to your business, you can register a trustee in the Business Register. For example, one of your parents or your guardian. This person is then given permission to act on your behalf, which enables them to sign contracts, open business bank accounts*, and do everything that, as a minor, you are not allowed to do yet.

You can make someone a trustee by filling in form 13: registration form authorised representative.

What to bring to your appointment:

  • The completed trustee registration form (form 13).
  • The person becoming a trustee must attend.
  • Your ID.
  • The trustee’s ID.

* Check with your bank to see if they will allow a trustee to open a business account on your behalf.

Limited legal capacity

This is the most formal option and only possible if you are 16 or older. You can petition the district court to grant you limited legal capacity, giving you the same rights as an 18-year-old. This means you will be able to sign contracts and open a business account (check this with your bank to be sure). With limited legal capacity, you will not have to ask your parents for permission.

Find out more about petitioning the court for limited legal capacity.

Difficult words

If you want to start a business but do not understand every word you come across, check our glossary for young entrepreneurs. In the glossary, you can find out exactly what words like trustee, limited legal capacity, legal form, business register, and parental authority mean.

Also of interest: