Is it illegal to do the odd job on the side?

Do you make a bit of extra money in the hospitality business, or as a cleaner? Or do you sell home-made cakes, for example, or jewelry? You have to report these extra earnings to the Belastingdienst. If you do not, you are working 'under the table', and you risk a fine.

Urban myth about 'zwartwerken'

Doing paid work without reporting it to the Tax Administration is called 'zwartwerken' in Dutch. And, just like in every other country, it is illegal. The notion that it would be allowed to earn extra income up to a certain amount is a misconception. In other words, it is not true. You may work as much as you want, but you have to report your income to the Dutch Tax Administration (Belastingdienst, in Dutch). How much tax you have to pay on the extra earnings depends on your personal situation and other income. If you receive a benefit, the amount you earn may affect it. If your income is low (in Dutch), the tax levied on the extra income will be low or none. 

Making extra money and paying taxes

You report the extra money you make as ‘inkomsten uit overige werkzaamheden’ (income from other activities, in Dutch) in your income tax return. If you have made expenses to earn the extra income, such as travel costs, you may deduct them from this amount. 

If you do not report the extra income you make, and the Belastingdienst finds out about it, not only will you have to pay the tax, but you also receive a fine (in Dutch).

Money on the side and registration with KVK

If you only make some extra money occasionally, you do not have to register as a business with KVK. Are you not sure? Contact the KVK Advice Team.