Register a new business

Register with KVK to enter your business or company into the Business Register (Handelsregister).

Eenmanszaak (sole proprietorship)

Do you want to start a business without business partners? Starting an eenmanszaak is the easiest and fastest way. Certainly in the beginning, an eenmanszaak offers tax advantages compared to a bv (private limited company), for example. But you are personally liable for your business debts.

Vennootschap onder firma (vof, general partnership)

Do you want to start a business with a business partner, and work together with one trade name? You can opt for the legal structure vof, vennootschap onder firma (vof) in full. A vof is comparable with a general partnership. 

Commanditaire vennootschap (cv, limited partnership)

Do you lack capital, and want to start a business with an invester? You can opt for the legal structure cv, commanditaire vennootschap. This legal structure is comparable to a limited partnership.

Maatschap (professional partnership)

Do you and others want to exercise your profession as a self-employed professional together, for example as dentists, architects, physical therapists, vets, farmers, or lawyers? You can opt for the legal structure maatschap. This legal structure is comparable to a professional partnership.  

Besloten vennootschap (bv) or naamloze vennootschap (nv)

If you start a bv (besloten vennootschap, comparable to a private limited company), you reduce the risk of being held personally liable for your company's debts. Do you need a lot of capital for your company? Then choose the nv (naamloze vennootschap, comparable to the public limited company).

More about the bv or about the nv.

Register a bv or nv

Stichting, vereniging, or VvE (foundation, association, or owners' association)

The notary usually registers a new stichting, vereniging (provided there is a notarial deed involved), or vereniging van eigenaars (owners' association, VvE) on your behalf. You can also take care of the registration yourself. 

More information about the stichting or the vereniging.

Register a stichting or vereniging

Coöperatie (cooperation)

Do you and your company want to benefit from the advantages of a collective? For example, through joint purchasing and marketing. Then the coöperatie (cooperative) or onderlinge waarborgmaatschappij (mutual insurance society) is a suitable legal form.

Other legal structures

Frequently asked questions about registering

We use 3 criteria to determine whether you have a business:

  1. You supply goods and/or services. Or you are preparing to do so. For example, you have already started buying products.
  2. You demand more than symbolic payment for this. Or a (commercial) price or hourly rate that makes you money. Think of making a profit or cutting costs. So it is not a hobby that only costs money and does not make a profit.
  3. You regularly provide goods and services to people other than just your family or friends.

Do you meet these 3 entrepreneurial criteria? Then you can register your business at KVK.

There are also 4 additional questions that say something about entrepreneurship and help you decide if registration is necessary.

Additional questions

  1. Do you invest money and/or time to start or grow your company?
  2. Do you work in your own business on a regular basis, as opposed to a one-off assignment? You should also register large one-off activities, such as Christmas tree sales.
  3. Will you be working for more than 1 client? If you have a single client over a longer period of time, it is more likely that you are in salaried employment.
  4. Do you decide when and how you do your work? Even if you get hired by a client. Does that apply to you too?

Are you in doubt? Check out the examples on how to deal with these 3 criteria and 4 questions.

Apply for DigiD via You need your citizen server number (BSN) to apply.

Do you live outside the Netherlands? You can apply for a DigiD abroad. To apply you need a BSN and the Dutch nationality, or the nationality of another country in the European Economic Area (EEA).

You must register your company within 1 week before or after the start of your business activities.

You can also visit our offices earlier to register your company. You can do this up to 3 months before your start date. To do this, make an appointment with one of our offices.

We will handle the actual registration in the week before the start date you provide. You do not need to visit a Chamber of Commerce (KVK) office again for this. After registration, we will send you a written confirmation of your registration and an invoice for the registration fee by post.

You will receive a KVK number when you register in the Business Register. You can register from 1 week before the start date of your company, but you can also visit the KVK earlier to prepare your registration. You can do this up to 3 months before the start date. In this case, the actual registration (with KVK number) will take effect 1 week before the start date of your company. You do not need to return to the KVK offices for this.

To register a new enterprise or organisation, you must pay a one-time registration fee. If you want to purchase a certified KVK Extract from the Business Register when you register, you can do this directly at the current fee. You can only pay by scanning the QR code on the invoice with your mobile.